[TxMt] more encodings

Zoltan Varady drifter at zpok.hu
Fri May 27 10:29:52 UTC 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Sune Foldager wrote:

> On 27/05/2005, at 12.13, Zoltan Varady wrote:
>
>> I gave TextMate a try, I absolutely love it's feel. I'd definetly buy
>> it, if only it would support more text encodings besides Unicode and
>> iso-latin-1. Specifically, as a hungarian I'd need iso-latin-2
>> (iso-8859-2), but I assume there other people from other parts of the
>> world with similar concerns, needing different encodings.
>
> You and all others with non ascii needs (and even those), really
> should (IMHO of course) use utf-8, as it encompasses all existing
> encodings into a single universal one. This is also very strongly
> supported and used natively in many areas in OS X, as well as being
> TextMate's native encoding.

True. I don't contest that UTF-8 is the way for the future. However I
have lots of old projects I'm still working on that use iso-8859-2. It
has good browser support, while using UTF-8 as the encoding for my
webpages often causes weirdness in some browsers - accented characters
appearing in a different font from the other text, for example. We
still need those options, and the fact that TextMate is limiting the
choices doesn't make it any easier.

regards,

Zoltan.