FTP client (was .. RE: [TxMt] Re: Bare Bones [was: Public to-do list for TM (was: TextileBundle?)

Tom Lazar tom at tomster.org
Thu Mar 24 19:18:11 UTC 2005

well put fred,

that sums it up quite nicely for me, especially the last point!

since a lot of my work revolves around editing textfiles on remote
machines i'd really like to do as much of that as possible in my editor
of choice, i.e. TextMate.

cyberduck and textmate make a nice team but in the sense of getting
things done still leave a lot to be desired. when using emacs or zile
from the commandline, remote and local editing are seemless - but if
that were enough for me, I wouldn't have bought TextMate, would I? ;-)

some other posters here have started using the term 'remote mountpoint'
or somesuch - that's beginning to nail the idea for me.

anyone interested in such a functionality might also want to take a
look at sshfs [1] - I know a linux developer who's quite happy with
that solution...

and yes, allan is quite right, that handling such stuff is actually the
responsibilty of the OS, not the app.

anyone know, if Tiger can mount (s)ftp writeable?

just my $0.02,

tom

[1] http://shfs.sourceforge.net/

--