FTP client (was .. RE: [TxMt] Re: Bare Bones [was: Public to-do list for TM (was: TextileBundle?)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Mar 23 16:32:21 UTC 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 8:01, Luc Heinrich wrote:

>> Is the intention to
>> A) keep TM a pure editor with a few extra features like edit-over-ftp
>> B) allow it to integrate with a few existing apps (standalone FTP
>> clients)
>> C) write your own fantastic complementary programs which integrate
>> really
>> well with TM
>> D) extend TM into something approaching an IDE by adding these to TM
>> itself
>> E) ??
> E) Provide a comprehensive TM plugin Cocoa API for third parties
> developers, à-la JEdit.

Yes, definitely A and E.

There are IMO many good reasons why I should only focus on the actual
text editing part of TextMate, but this naturally begs for good 3rd
party extensibility of the editor.

It does bother me tremendously that I have to spend my time writing ftp
support since a) this should be made available to all applications
through e.g. a decent Finder implementation instead of having each app
re-invent the wheel, b) this is probably unused by the majority of
TextMate users and c) it has nothing to do with a text editor.

But seeing how Finder doesn't have useful ftp support and the minority
that needs this in TM is a large minority (which are all unfamiliar or
unwilling to use Interachy!?! ;) ), I'm letting this one slip -- also
because I'll anyway need to make the project drawer support arbitrary
sources with callbacks (like svn/cvs), so ftp will just be a plugin
that uses this system, most likely based on libcurl and ftpparse.c
(except that this doesn't support rename and move operations).