[TxMt] Problems with b5 and services menu / BOM follow-up question

Christian Bogen christian.bogen at gmx.net
Thu Mar 10 22:55:26 UTC 2005

Am 10.03.2005 um 23:09 schrieb Allan Odgaard:
> I'll look into these... but I take it that the services you have which
> work on selected text are available for TextMate?

Yes, they work as expected!

> Well, I'd add options to the GUI, which I try to keep to a minimum,
> I'd add code to my source base which adds complexity and requires
> maintenance/testing, and I'd send a signal that UTF-8 files can/should
> have BOM, which I really think they shouldn't.

Oh well, it's your baby! :-) Anyway, I'm no expert on whether UTF files
should have BOM or not. I saw it first in TW 2.0 and thought it might
come in handy to have the choice. I admit I have bit of a
»Swiss-Army-knive-mentality« there.

(GUI-wise it could be solved quite simply by adding an extra encoding
to the list (one UTF-8 encoding with and one without BOM). BTW, TW
offers this for UTF-16, too, and generally seems to default to setting
the BOM.)

the Unicode experts ...

>> PS: Shouldn't TM register itself in the Service menu? It doesn't do
>> that here ...
> No, it shouldn't. But there's an external service that gives you an
> “Edit in TextMate…” in the services menu, it can be downloaded here:
> http://macromates.com/textmate/files/TextMate.service.zip

Ah, thanks -- I didn't know that. (Did I overlook a hint to that effect
somewhere?)

> Starting from next beta, I'll keep this service on the disk image,
> unfortunately I still haven't found a good way to actually incorporate
> it into TextMate.

That's a good idea! (I just assumed there was some kind of »documented
standard procedure« for OS X/Cocoa apps to offer functions via the
Services menu, but I'm no programmer ...)

Again, thank you!

Christian