[TxMt] Problems with b5 and services menu / BOM follow-up question

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Mar 10 22:09:11 UTC 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 22:37, Christian Bogen wrote:

> Well, I thought the »Insert« service was part of OS X. It inserts
> various date and time stamps. Right now Unicode Checker and
> DEVONtechnology's WordService are the only extra services I have
> installed (it could be part of WordService).

I'll look into these... but I take it that the services you have which
work on selected text are available for TextMate?

>>> [...] create new UTF-8 files with BOM? [...]
>> Why do you need this?
> [...] Is there any potential harm in being able to (optionally) set
> the BOM? [...]

Well, I'd add options to the GUI, which I try to keep to a minimum, I'd
add code to my source base which adds complexity and requires
maintenance/testing, and I'd send a signal that UTF-8 files can/should
have BOM, which I really think they shouldn't.

> PS: Shouldn't TM register itself in the Service menu? It doesn't do
> that here ...

No, it shouldn't. But there's an external service that gives you an
“Edit in TextMate…” in the services menu, it can be downloaded here:
http://macromates.com/textmate/files/TextMate.service.zip

Starting from next beta, I'll keep this service on the disk image,
unfortunately I still haven't found a good way to actually incorporate
it into TextMate.

And the service is btw at version 1.1: I updated it so that it should
now be better at bringing the application to front after editing the
text, and I renamed it to TextMate Service.service, to avoid problems
with AppleScript.