[TxMt] Re: textmate Digest, Vol 10, Issue 32

James Edward Gray II james at grayproductions.net
Tue Jul 26 14:05:17 UTC 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 10:37 PM, Patrice Neff wrote:

> Apart from that, it seems that Unicode is not actually able to handle
> 100% of Chinese (and maybe also Japanese) script. But I'm not a
> Unicode expert.

Unicode does not include all of the Kanji, a shared set of
pictographs for Chinese and Japanese.  However, the Japanese (the one
I know), at least, can just drop into their Kana (Hiragana and
Katakana) syllabary to "spell out" any word they can't represent with
Kanji.  I assume the Chinese have a similar option, though I'm not
familiar with that language.  However, since the average Japanese
person knows a few thousand Kanji and Unicode includes way over that,
I seriously doubt this is a common problem.

James Edward Gray II