[TxMt] Feature Idea: Photoshop/Safari-style drag navigation

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley katokop1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 21:54:19 UTC 2005

I recently discovered that Safari supports simple drag navigation
around large pages rather line Photoshop's space-drag functionality:
by simply holding ctrl and moving the mouse (not dragging -- the mouse
button remains up), the cursor changes to a hand which grabs and drags
the page.  Perhaps I'm really late to the game on this one, but I'm
totally hooked.

I've been finding, however, that I'm so attached to this mode of
navigation when reading in Safari that I'm constantly subconsciously
trying to do it in all sorts of other apps.  I personally think this
would be a fantastic way to browse text in TextMate.  Like all good
programmers, I'm of course completely attached to the keyboard when
actively developing, but there are many times when trying to figure
out some code or reading a README is much more like browsing than
active development, and in these situations I'd really love to have
this sort of interface.  It's particularly great for trackpad (or
wacom tablet) use.

Far from super-high priority, but at least worth a brief thought, as
it's probably not the most challenging bit of polish to add.
-jrk