[TxMt] Feature suggestion: Open file as edit vs. browse

Anders Isaksson anders at isazone.com
Sat Jan 29 15:05:49 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I have been using TextMate since December last year and I have found
myself using it like more and more as some sort of Finder replacement.
At least for text-files that I can open and edit in TextMate.
As TextMate is my primary programming environment where I edit source
code, ini-files, etc, I have a problem when I open a file for
"browsing". I mean when I open a file with no intention to edit it but
to read it, copy code sections, check how certain functions are
implemented, etc.
The problem, or let me say the inconvenience, is that the file remains
open as a tab and I have to manually close it.

I could think of two ways to open a file: 1 - For editing, 2 - For
browsing. When a file has been opened for editing TextMate would have
the same behaviour as today. When a file has been opened for browsing I
could think of a behaviour that close the file as soon as I leave it.

For now I have no idea on how to select between open edit vs. open
browse but one way could be to use a combination of ctrl, alt or
command key to open browse.

Kind Regards
/Anders I

Anders Isaksson - anders at isazone.com