[TxMt] feature request: autosave

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 17:41:42 UTC 2005

On 14 Jan 2005, at 16:12, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> 3b.	Allan, what's the TM_VAR for the whole document content? or can I
>> get to it other than [ echo `cat $TM_FILE_NAME > $TM_BACKUP_FILE `]
>> ??
>>  How do you retain the Newline/ CR in this when you redirect it into
>> a new file ?? Losing them in my test command.
> I think they are lost because you run the document through echo. Using
> cat alone with '>>' should be enough.

OK, that works now. Thanks.

> My thinking is that those people who'd like to have .backup files are
> probably not the same who'll role their own solution using the
> existing functionality (no offense meant to Paul ;) ).

1.	.backup extension is used by Apple's BackUp software, so maybe not
good choice.  Maybe .tmbackup instead.

2.	I understand that user shouldn't have to roll their own solutions,
but I thought that by creating commands into bundles that they could
then double-click to install easily together with a "How to use this
..." manual (or up on the wiki) would overcome that issue. The
bundles/commands would then be a sort of cheap-mans plug-ins.

As for Paul's original request, well I have in less than an hour
created 90% of his wish using a Command & bash, just need to spend some
more time with a few other bits, and then it's ready to ship.

However, my point here is really a bigger one, so let me explain.  IF
you produce a back up solution (or any other solution) within TM -
using Cocoa/GUI etc - it is a fixed solution that's difficult to
override by the users. However, if the solution is done with a Command
(or something similar Plug-ins ?) then it's still modifiable by the end
user. Now I do understand quite a few issues relating to that wish, but
I just prefer it that way.  The last thing I'd like is to be locked
into BBEdit like crap implementations. (Although I doubt you would ever
implement something like that bad anyway)

>> Also, could you please make it so that we can remove a trigger from a
>> command and leave it empty. Now it captures any key stroke you do,
>> and the (x) button don't work.
> The (x) button works for me!?!

Nope, it does not work for me. Only once in a 100 clicks does it
register. Might be an issue with my mouse.  Perhaps you could make ESC
clear the field ??

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -