[TxMt] Request: newline differentiation

Paul Bissex paul.bissex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:54:35 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Allan Odgaard <throw-away-1 at macromates.com> wrote:
> On 6/12/2005, at 14:17, Paul Bissex wrote:
>
> > Are there any plans for, or any interest in, making it easier to
> > see and set the newline style of open files? Right now it seems you
> > can control this only through the Preferences dialog
>
> Or using Save As…

Point taken. However, I meant specifically changing the file in place.
One can't easily use Save As while editing a file via ODB, which I do
a lot. My work style may be unusual, making this more of a problem for
me than for others.

> > and there's no at-a-glance way to tell (or change) what newline
> > style an open file is
> > actually using.
>
> I think the situation where you need this info is too rare to spend
> valuable status bar space on it and the status bar already seems to
> have reached its threshold wrt shown info (yes, I know, it can be
> configurable…).

Fair enough.

> There should be a more detailed "Information" panel in the future
> that one can bring up for a file.

That would be good.  As I'm sure you know, (I was trying to write this
without referring to anybody else's products!) BBEdit, TextWrangler,
and other Mac text editors make this info available (and usually
changeable in the same location, which is nice.)

> > [...] A newline type selector/indicator in the bottom bar is the
> > most obvious thing to do (it might even be combined with the spaces/
> > tabs popup), but I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well.
>
> I assume that the problem in your case was, that TextMate actually
> preserved the CR when you wanted to have the file "upgraded" to LF?

Sort of. Silent "upgrade" would have avoided the problem but it's also
useful to know what's there in the original -- if I'm working with
somebody who keeps uploading CR-terminated files, for example, I'd
like to know so I can educate them.

And in general I think it's important that a text editor by default
makes no silent changes. Though I have to admit I can't think of a
case when changing a file from CR to LF would break something.

Thanks for the detailed response.

pb

--
Paul Bissex