[TxMt] Request: newline differentiation

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Dec 7 06:41:56 UTC 2005

On 6/12/2005, at 14:17, Paul Bissex wrote:

> Are there any plans for, or any interest in, making it easier to
> see and set the newline style of open files? Right now it seems you
> can control this only through the Preferences dialog

Or using Save As…

> and there's no at-a-glance way to tell (or change) what newline
> style an open file is
> actually using.

I think the situation where you need this info is too rare to spend
valuable status bar space on it and the status bar already seems to
have reached its threshold wrt shown info (yes, I know, it can be
configurable…).

There should be a more detailed “Information” panel in the future
that one can bring up for a file.

> [...] A newline type selector/indicator in the bottom bar is the
> most obvious thing to do (it might even be combined with the spaces/
> tabs popup), but I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well.

I assume that the problem in your case was, that TextMate actually
preserved the CR when you wanted to have the file “upgraded” to LF?

IMO LF is (now) the proper way to newline terminate files, and the
other methods are supported only for legacy files -- to have TM
automatically upgrade your files, check the  “Use for existing files
as well” below the option in Preferences, then TM will silently
upgrade your files, and you don't have to worry about this. Currently
though, newline termination is coupled with encoding (so it'd also
“upgrade” the encoding, if the file use some legacy 8 bit encoding ;) ).