[TxMt] Text Encoding Support

Sean Schertell sean at datafly.net
Sun Dec 4 00:31:00 UTC 2005

>> Will there be more text encoding support? Like for Japanese(Shift-
>> JIS), Chinese(GB-2312) or Korean? I think this issue has been bought
>> up before, but it didn't get my attention until lately.
>
> I'm pretty sure Allan has shot this down in the past, its just not
> something trivial to do

Allan didn't shoot it down -- he said something like 'it's on the
list but not in the immediate future'.

> and Unicode does its job perfectly well.

Unicode in TM *doesn't* work perfectly well for Japanese because:

(a) You can't do text input at all for Japanese even in Unicode
(b) Japanese text is not displayed as double-width so the characters
appear to overlap and look 'squished' together.

I think this is true for other multibyte languages too but I can only
comment on Japanese for which TM is simply not usable :-(

Until TM supports non-western languages, the best I can recommend is
to register a copy of skEdit for $20 which is a close runner-up to TM
in that it's a very nice tabbed interface done in Cocoa.  Not as drop-
dead beautiful or feature-rich as TM, but pretty dang good and
handles multibyte languages including Shift-JIS without a hitch.
Beats the bejeezus out of bbedit --eewwww!

Happy coding!

Sean

::::  DataFly.Net  ::::
Complete Web Services