[TxMt] Feature request: Remembrance Agent

Hannu Rajaniemi hannu.rajaniemi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:49:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

I recently played around with The Remembrance Agent
(http://www.remem.org/) and Carbon Emacs. Remem (as it's commonly
called) is a pretty nifty associative memory prompter originally
designed to work with wearable computing devices, with an Emacs
frontend. The idea is that it scans the text you type continuously and
suggests related files from a database you've specified. As the core
of the system consists of two non-Emacs-related binaries, I was
wondering if it would be possible to duplicate the Emacs frontend in
TextMate? Given TextMate's HTML display capabilities, it would be nice
to have a little window at the bottom of the screen with clickable
links to files that are related to whatever I'm working on at the
moment.

This is the kind of thing you're unlikely to see in a word processor,
and would effectively duplicate a lot of the functionality of
DevonThink (http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/devonthink.php).
People have been raving about associative memory apps for years, but
they haven't really come into their own yet. TextMate might be a fun
playground to try it out.

Speaking of things which Emacs has but TextMate doesn't at the moment,
how about abbrevs? I'd like to be able to replace common misspelled
words (the for teh and so on) automatically, and under Emacs I have a
big abbrev file that does this. Could one do this e.g. with input
patterns?

Just brainstorming here, thanks for your patience...

- Hannu Rajaniemi