[TxMt] OT: Browsers and CSS (was: Input Patterns?)

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Tue Apr 5 17:21:10 UTC 2005

On 05-04-2005, at 17:07, Eric Hsu wrote:
> I spent many hours trying to make a (not that complex) CSS page layout
> look right in IE and other better browsers. I never succeeded and had
> to use tables.
> So in a weird way, it has been very freeing to target TM's HTML
> output!  Yes, it has its own set of annoyances, but at least I don't
> have to check if it looks right in IE or Opera...

Mm... It can be done though, but it took me many hours as well. It
should be noted that while Safari is one of the best css browsers there
is, it also has at least one small bug pertaining to some rather exotic
use of floating boxes. IE is much worse. Its notorious bug is: It
counts padding and border when calculating 'width' for an element. But
the standard _clearly_ states that width is inner width.

In IE6 this is fixed if you set a doctype to strict (either html or
xhtml), so that at least helps.

--
Sune.