[TxMt] regex problem

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:42:16 UTC 2005

At 4:14 PM -0500 4/1/05, Dameron Midgette wrote:
>Sue	Xxxxxxx								1244 Xxxx Street	Bath	ME	04530	USA
>(it's wrapping-8 tabs between last name and street)
>for this pattern:
>^(*[^\t])\t(*[^\t]){8}\t
>replacing with this:
>$1\t$2\t

Those *'s are in bad places.  If you want to match a greedy string of
non-tab characters ending in a tab, do ([^\t]*)\t.  I don't
understand what "wrapping-8 tabs" means enough to help you more...

By the way I know Allan is aware that some truly mangled regexps (no
offense... I myself have sent in some spectacular ones to him) crash
TM, and that shouldn't happen.

best, Eric
--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu