[TxMt] Re: document tabs redux / wish list [in a new thread ?]

David Lee david at davelee.com.au
Fri Apr 1 13:20:26 UTC 2005

On 01/04/2005, at 7:09 PM, Mats Persson wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2005, at 04:06, David Lee wrote:
>> I think it's twice I've been chewed out for threading before...
> Apologies David didn't mean to "chew you out", but Sune - the list's
> thread-keeper extraordinarie - has gone awol lately, so I'm just
> trying to fill his very big boots for a short while until I too give
> up ;-)

No probs. I'll try to behave.

>> My apologies to Allan for misspelling his name too - It was 3.30 am
>> or so when i wrote this and I was well overdue for a nap.
>
> I didn't mean to attack you personally, but being a Swede with an
> 'unusual' name and having lived in the UK for the past 15 years I have
> found that unfortunately the vast majority of English speaking
> clients/'friends' just cannot accept learning a new name. Most insist
> on calling me Mark (WTF!!!!). I personally had two separate instances
> of that yesterday, and your 'mistake' made my cup overflow, I guess.

it's better than being called David.

>> Still i think they're good ideas, and some of them worth discussion.
>> Bad moods and basic table manners aside, do you have any reactions to
>> the content?
> Yes, and here they come.
>

> On 31 Mar 2005, at 17:44, David Lee wrote:
>> 1) < and > arrows appear when more tabs are open than fit. You scroll
>> all the tabs left or right to see tabs offscreen. It scrolls one tab
>> at a time.
>>
>> 2) When you use the keyboard to move through open files, the
>> arrangement of tabs move to keep the currently open file's tab
>> visible at all times.
>>
>> 3) The drop-down list of offscreen tabs should stay.
>
> I think Allan's reply to you earlier identified what is in the works
> and how the general consensus was regarding handling many open doc's
> in tabs and so on. Perhaps I don't fully understand your points above,
> but I don't see them as any better than Allan's existing proposals.

I have complete faith in Allan's ability to get it right, and these
three points probably didn't add anything to my thesis.

I think the document switching 'problem' goes beyond tab handling, and
those aspects of it are probably the most fruitful to explore at this
point ...

>> 4) Make people aware that you can hit ctrl-cmd-n to get a new project
>> window, drag the files you're currently working on in there and use
>> the project drawer to flip between them. I just extrapolated this
>> from one of Allen's other posts and it feels very promising.
>
>> Can we be able to 'open these tabs in new project' with a menu
>> command / shortcut? It's not the perfect long term solution but will
>> always be useful whatever is.
>
> Not sure I get your point there either.  The way I (and others ?) work
> is I create a TM project window for each project that I'm working on
> and save the <ProjectName>.tmproj file into the root of that project
> folder. As for flipping through files in the project drawer via
> shortcuts much of that exist today, and the missing parts will be
> improved in a future revision of the project drawer already planned.

I mean when working on a large project with many files (Ruby on Rails
Rails apps for example), I'm usually switching between only a small
subset of the files in the project.

It's a convenient thing to be able to start a project and drag files
from the old project sidebar to the new one to set yourself up for a
certain task.

Mostly i think people should know things like this are possible, so i
saw some value in making it marginally more convenient by adding a
feature which also serves to document its doability.

>> Oh yeah. I'm a split view junkie. Up-down, left-right, any
>> combination. Just the way nature intended.
> Discussed till boredom almost, and is planned.
>
>> I'd love to see a good regular expression composer (Komodo does this
>> superbly, Kdevelop well too).
>
> Never used either of those, so don't grep what's so special about
> them.  But what would be nice to have is a simple Command (can be a
> bundle) that takes the selected text - with some kind of identifiers
> in there and then returns the regex for it. Sort of like this:
>
> input:
> <key>:[capture1]:</key>
> <string>:[capture2]:</string>

> Slightly crude idea I know, but still lovely to have and would spare
> my single 'brain'cell for other things ;-)

The cool thing is that it interactively validates your RX, highlights
the matches, shows you what's been captured and in what order. I find
it much more useful than that sounds.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/Komodo/3.0/komodo-doc-regex.html

I don't know if a script which returns regexps would become useful at a
lower level of complexity than it became impossibly painful to its
author.

this would do more or less what you said from the command line, but
uses [*] in place of [capture1]:

#!/usr/local/bin/ruby

class RX_writer
	def initialize
		while in_string = gets
			parts = in_string.split('[*]')
			slash = %w/^ $ [ ] ( ) \/ \ . ? + * /
			parts.each { |part|
				slash.each { |ch| part.gsub!(ch, '\\'+ch) }
			}
			puts parts.join('(.+)')
		end
	end
end; RX_writer.new
___________

but
a) I don't know how to turn that into a textmate script yet; i should
read the docs
b) That returned regex will be very inflexible, as (.+) will gobble up
more than it should if unwatched. E.g., if you put '<tag>foo</tag>' in
and get back '<tag>(.+)><\/tag>', then use that RX on

I'd much rather have a better environment for writing my own.

>> And a well considered 'intellisense' implementation which can include
>> your own completion items (and later, those in included files) in
>> heaps of languages.
>
> In what way does not snippets take care of this at the moment ?

If any snippets do autocompletion with an intelligent (context
sensitive) dropdown list of completion items, narrowing as you complete
a word, then I've really missed something.

Autocompletion, when it works really well (knows the available methods
of the object you've just typed; knows the classes & variables you've
defined on this page and elsewhere in the project) is one of the best
things an editor can do for you.

It's also probably insanely involved and language-specific, so the best
we could hope for is a well-considered, powerful way for bundles to get
this done with a minimum of overhead or inconsistency. I'm not sure
what's currently possible or planned here but it's not doing what i
wished for out-of-the-box.

>> Multiple 'paste previous' / 'paste next' commands rewrite the last
>> ones' output (which can probably be hacked by leaving it selected
>> after each paste, but thats not ideal).
>

> Not getting your point there, sorry. Have a look at Windows->Show
> Clipboard History and explain what's missing in there ?

If i wish to paste the second-last thing i copied, I should be able to
tap cmd-shift-v twice and end up only with the thing i wanted to paste
on the screen.

It's quicker and much more convenient than anything else. The clipboard
viewer is great, but not in that context.

>> A function / class browser.
> Have you seen Kumar McMillan's excellent "Special Items..." in the
> Default.tmbundle up on the SVN repos ?? It gives you most of what you
> need, but can still be improved further by Allan inside TM rather than
> as a bundle. (which I
> think is planned anyway)

no I haven't, i'll certainly grab it, and it's awesome to hear Allan is
likely planning something.

>> Better print output (allow choice of different font for printing;
>> programmer fonts look terrible) & optionally include syntax
>> highlighting & line numbers.
>
> This printing business was a big thing back in Oct/Nov last year, and
> Allan asked for the basic requirements from us users then. As a fairly
> vocal supporter of printing then I have since only used the printing
> features of TM twice. When I was working with <other leading Mac
> editor> I used to print my code almost daily. Now I don't mainly due
> to a change in workstyle/workflow, but also because of some of TM's
> features.  Try open document in new window, make fullscreen and then
> increase the font size to suit, now lean back in your comfy chair
> (reclining armchair that is ;-) ) and peruse your code screen by
> screen.  It's what I used to do on paper before, but now does on
> screen. Much faster as well.
>
> But yes, all of those printing features could/would be good to have as
> well someday, and I'm 100% certain we will get them, but there's more
> important things for Allan to address before then.

my main issue is that the programming fonts i use look like utter shit
at larger than their set size. I'd like for print to be able to print
in another (user selected) font & size.

It's not a biggie though as we can always paste it to another program
first.

cheers