[TxMt] Rectangular selections paste badly

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Fri Oct 29 00:11:34 UTC 2004

Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 28. Oct 2004, at 23:12, Drew McLellan wrote:
>
>> But do you not see how it's confusing that paste works differently
>> depending on how the selection was made before the copy?
>

> Well, you did seem to know that the paste was different because you'd
> done a different type of copy!?! so as of such, it wasn't confusing to
> you, you just didn't know how to disable an unwanted feature.
>
> Generally I try to make the default behavior the one that is what I
> think is used the most, and in this case this is "insert as columns",
> and I need more than one example to change my mind ;)
>
> Additionally there is the thing about having a rather easy workaround
> for the default behavior (insert empty lines before pasting), which does
> not require one to learn a new qualifier, which would be the case, if
> the default was "insert as stream" and the opposite was needed.

I only knew it was different because it screwed up my file. I honestly
thought it was a bug it broke so bad. Not because the feature is bad (I
really like the feature now I understand it) but because it's replacing
the default behavior.

The 'rather easy workaround' took me 4 or 5 attempts before I'd inserted
enough spaces. It's a productivity killer.

If this really *has* to be the default, *please* include a shortcut to
the correct pasting behavior too.

drew.