[TxMt] Re: OT: Help files and Manuals

Allan Odgaard ML at Top-House.DK
Wed Oct 27 00:50:19 UTC 2004

On 26. Oct 2004, at 19:47, Ian G. Gillespie wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good program that one can use to create a help
> file and a PDF manual without maintaining two sets of documents?

LaTeX does really nice PDF and with tex4ht I think the HTML result is
also reasonable good.

Another option is DocBook, though the PDF is not very nice when using
the freeware converters available.

Basically you just want to settle on some generic markup language that
allows you to convert it to whatever format you desire.

Which markup language is best suited probably depends mostly of what
type of documentation you're writing, i.e. is it heavily interlinked,
using all sorts of "typegraphic" features, footnotes, images etc.

Kind regards Allan
--
    http://macromates.com/          :::  TextMate, OS X text editor
    http://macromates.com/sigpipe/  :::  Personal weblog about