[TextMate] workarounds for lack of (s)ftp/external editing support?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Oct 25 20:51:50 UTC 2004

On 25. Oct 2004, at 18:52, Raena Armitage wrote:

> All I want for Christmas is world peace, an end to hunger, and for
> TextMate to either support (s)ftp or be supportive of the external
> editor thing.  As in this:

I've played a bit with native (s)ftp support, so it won't take long --
though it won't be rolled into the main branch before I re-write the
current project drawer, and I'm still not entirely settled on how to
best handle this one.

> http://www.merzwaren.com/external_editor.html

I've also played shortly with this, I was actually awaiting six lines
of code that Jonas mentioned on his blog, but it seems he's forgotten
about me, so I should probably continue my own work instead...

Apple Events (especially catching the 'odoc' event) are not exactly
nice from Cocoa applications, and it seems Transmit only supports a
hardcoded list of editors, so I can't even test TextMate with their
program (and a 'file' can have several "representations" when sent as
an apple event, so testing is rather crucial).

> For the moment, can anyone recommend a way to get around this lack of
> support?

I hear that Interarchy has the ability to mount an (s)ftp disk, similar
to the Finder, but with write-support.

So hopefully that can serve until I get ftp done!

Kind regards Allan