[TextMate] Find peculiarities

Richard Chamberlain sunsetandlabrea at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 20 20:30:17 UTC 2004

Hi,

Hello,

On 20 Oct 2004, at 17:07, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 20. Oct 2004, at 13:42, Richard Chamberlain wrote:
>
>> If a small portion of text is selected then 'Entire File' appears to
>> work but 'Selected Text' functions the same as Entire File, i.e. it
>> ignores the selected text boundaries.
>
> The “Selected Text” is the _replace_ scope, and so does not limit what
> to be searched (but if people would find this useful, it could be
> changed, personally though, I think it'd be more trouble than good).

I do find being able to search selected text useful, although now I
understand it I could probably work around.

> With regard to not finding anything, when you select all. This is
> because currently TextMate actually searches from the end of the
> current selection, to (if wrap around is enabled) the beginning of the
> selection.
>
> The reason for this is that if you e.g. search for a single word, and
> that word is found, find next should not find the same word (if there
> is only a single instance of that word), which is why I do not search
> the selection (since what you just found ends up being selected).

I think that needs changing. Could you not just record the position of
the last find and not repeat it?

The current behaviour is that if you have all the text selected then
Find fails to do anything even though it looks like it should.

Thanks for the reply,

Richard