[TextMate] Heuristic for smart typing pairs

Justin French justin.french at indent.com.au
Wed Oct 20 14:36:05 UTC 2004

On 20/10/2004, at 11:50 PM, William Douglas Neumann wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Chris Jenkins wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the pair of characters only get added if they are surrounded
>> by
>> white space, or if some customisable regex is matched?
>
> That might be nice.  I also like the way, for example, iTeXMac works
> with smart pairs.  If you select some text and type the opening paren,
> brace, etc, it surrounds the selected text with the pair and moves the
> caret past the closing element (though it doesn't do it for quotes).
> One of the other things it does that is usually nice is, when you have
> no text selected and type the opening element of a pair, it adds the
> closing element and positions the caret in the middle (like TM), but
> it also places an anchor after the closing element, so hitting tab
> after you re done filling in the contents of the pair takes you out of
> it.

That all sounds really good.  Part of the problem is that TM behaves
differently than we expect, or are used to.  Smart typing is great most
of the time, but it is, of course, a pain when you don't expect or want
it to work...

Anything that can help TM better guess what our intentions are gets my
vote.

Justin