[TextMate] Heuristic for smart typing pairs

William Douglas Neumann wdnx at unm.edu
Wed Oct 20 13:50:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Chris Jenkins wrote:

> Perhaps the pair of characters only get added if they are surrounded by
> white space, or if some customisable regex is matched?

That might be nice.  I also like the way, for example, iTeXMac works with
smart pairs.  If you select some text and type the opening paren, brace,
etc, it surrounds the selected text with the pair and moves the caret past
the closing element (though it doesn't do it for quotes).  One of the
other things it does that is usually nice is, when you have no text
selected and type the opening element of a pair, it adds the closing
element and positions the caret in the middle (like TM), but it also
places an anchor after the closing element, so hitting tab after you re
done filling in the contents of the pair takes you out of it.

William D. Neumann
<wdnx at unm.edu>

FWO to the Nth degree!!!
---
Dear Lord, please make me the kind of person
my dog thinks I am.