[TextMate] Re: Problem with UTF8 encoding

Peter Johansson peter.johansson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 12:08:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:07:02 +0200, Allan Odgaard <allan at macromates.com> wrote:

> I don't have BBEdit, but I think BBEdit _always_ opens as MacRoman. And
> you have to manually tell it to open it with the proper encoding (at
> least that was my experience when I tried it >2 years ago, both my
> iso-8859-1 and utf-8 files were all opened as MacRoman by BBEdit)!?!

According to the BBEdit manual
(http://ftp.barebones.com/pub/manual/BBEdit_8_User_Manual.pdf) this is
the procedure it uses to determine the encoding for a file:

1 If the file is well-formed HTML or XML, BBEdit looks for an
"encoding=" or <meta
charset=> directive.
2 If the file contains a BBEdit state resource, BBEdit uses the
encoding stored in the
state resource.
3 If the file contains a UTF-8 or UTF-16 (Unicode) byte-order mark,
BBEdit opens it as
that type of Unicode file.
4 If the file has a resource that contains font information (such as a
'styl' resource) and
that resource specifies a multi-byte font, BBEdit opens the file as a
Unicode file.
5 If you are opening the file with the Open command, BBEdit uses the encoding
specified Read As pop-up menu on the Open dialog.
6 Finally, it uses the encoding specified by the "If the file's
encoding can't be guessed,
use" pop-up menu on the Text Files: Opening panel of the Preferences window.

~peter