[TextMate] Preferences solution

Eric Ocean subscriber at ampede.com
Thu Oct 7 18:32:23 UTC 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Michael Gregoire wrote:

> I also think that if needs to be explained, then there is definitely a
> design flaw.

I'm not sure where this bit of "wisdom" originated, but it's simply not
true. I'm not sure how many of TextMate's user base have used more
complex, task-specific software (such as a $600,000 video editor) where
efficiency is paramount, but I have yet to encounter a professionally
useful software application that did not require explanation as to how
to use it. I consider TextMate to be geared towards professionals who
essentially create and edit structured text for a living. I fully
expect TextMate to require explanation, if it is to be truly as
efficient as say, vim or Emacs. Indeed it must, because both those apps
have a very strong conceptual framework that they work in.

Giving a preferences explanation after invoking the Preferences menu
command is simply a convenient time to explain a feature (not a design
flaw, at least as far as the creator's are concerned) of TextMate at a
time when the user is likely to be extremely receptive to such
information. (A tip-of-the-day is for, well, tips–not the application's
philosophy of use.)

What most people mean by a "design flaw" is something that "once you
understand the application (which hopefully didn't take much
time/effort)", doesn't make sense according to that understanding. By
that metric, the preferences "flaw" in TextMate is not explaining
TextMate to the user, so that they expected it to be like the other's
they already knew. There's no harm in explaining things, so long as the
explanation makes sense. People can learn (and seem to enjoy it, if it
makes their life better).

The number one job of any UI designer is to establish a "contract" of
sorts with the user as to how the software works, and then to make damn
sure that it actually does. That's much harder than it looks, but it's
where greatness lies. TextMate's developers at least seem to be on the
path...

Regards,

Eric Ocean