[TextMate] Why is all the background colours dark ????

James Spahr james at spahr.org
Thu Oct 7 14:03:50 UTC 2004

I started out wanting to create a syntax coloring system that would
allow more styling in the html than the current PHP implementation
while having a visible difference between the html and the template
logic (Smarty). The dark background was a result of this goal. Let me
explain.

The eye is far more sensitive to lighter colors than to darker ones.
This means that is is easier for the eye to see different colors when
the colors are brighter. Having bright colors on a light background
creates poor contrast, which everyone can agree is horrid for
readability.

Switching to a dark background allows the use of a color palette that
is easier to distinguish. Another benefit of using light type on a dark
background is that (according to our eye) light areas on a page expand.
So the type gets a little bit bolder when it is light on dark (that's
optically, to our eye) -- and that helps in color differentiation.

I should also state that these work for me, probably more based on my
typeface choice than any sort of personal bais. (I'm using Vera Sans
Mono). I've never coded on a dark background before, but I'm finding it
very comfortable. I originally tried very hard to get something
handsome and functional on a light background -- I failed miserably, so
this is why I have a dark background.

> I just downloaded the PHP & Smarty syntax bundle, and found that it
> too was based on a dark background.  Can someone please explain this
> seeming 'obsession' with dark backgrounds when 99% of all other apps
> are the basic white background with black/coloured text ???
>
> What is it that I don't get about it ???  (I personally find it very
> hard to read text that way.)

James.