[TextMate] Why there is no preferences window (was: Preferences window)

Andrew Green andrew at article7.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 12:56:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:30:30 +0100, Ian Phillips wrote:

> Per document options seem popular! That being so, my preference (no
> pun intended) would be to have a hierarchy of preferences. Global
> (command-,) preferences, which could be overridden by per-project
> settings, which in turn could be overridden by per-document settings.

I hadn't really considered per-project settings, although I suppose it
seems sensible.  I'm anxious, though, not to be misunderstood about
what you call "per-document settings".  I really, emphatically believe
that if you change a setting using the menus, it should act in a
completely temporary way.

That is to say: if your global preferences state that you don't
normally want overwrite mode to be on, but you switch it on using the
menu while editing a given document, it shouldn't magically spring back
on when you next load that document.  The menus are for the
here-and-now.

Seriously, the menus give no indication whatever of what's going to be
remembered and what isn't.  If my overwrite settings get applied across
all documents and are remembered until I notice that I need to switch
them back, why doesn't the syntax colouring option do the same?

Cheers,
Andrew.
--
                   ::