[TextMate] Re: HTML, auto-complete and snippets

timothy martens timfm at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 07:24:24 UTC 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 7:21 AM, marc wrote:

> On 07/10/2004, at 4:07 AM, Lucas K. Mathis wrote:

>> On 6.10.2004, space aliens observed Justin French saying:
>>> All the CSS properties (font-size, width, height, etc) are all in
>>> there as keywords, as are all the units (px, em, etc).  Agreed, most
>>> of the values (bold, underline, block) are not in there yet, and TM
>>> has no idea if "left" is a valid value for "float", but I don't think
>>> BBEdit knows this either...
>>
>> It does, though :-)

It's badly implemented in BBEdit. For example. I'm inside the head
tags, I hit Cmd + M, it brings up a nice contextual menu, I type the
first letter  "s" and hit enter when "style" is highlighted, I hit
enter and it puts the opening and closing style tags in BUT it puts my
cursor in between them! Then I have to navigate back to the inside of
end of opening tag, hit Cmd + Alt + M and what do I get? A BLOODY
DIALOG box into which I have to type values "text/css" etc. ON TOP OF
IT ALL you can't tab through the dialog's fileds. You've got to click
around, typing more values and manipulating pull-downs. It's
ridiculous.

That's not what I call a tool that increases my productivity.

Yet again I refer to Topstyle as the ONLY APPLICATION that does it
right.

And pleaase don't tell me to go back to the PC. I think we're all i
agreement here about the merits of OSX.

> Lucas, just in case you're not aware, that's exactly how skEdit
> operates -- I'm currently trying to work out if a combination of
> Snippets and Macros can substitute for syntax-aware code hinting...
> there are benefits in both approaches, and each could learn from each
> other.
>
> As noted by others (esp. Eric Curtis in his very good post) TextMate
> isn't fully aimed at the HTML crowd, at least not to begin with.
>
> Crucial for HTML, IMHO, is some form of asset awareness, skEdit
> (broken record!) offers completion of image names, file references,
> class names etc., because it is aware of these elements -- it even has
> an image viewer, click on an image from and you're site folder in TM,
> like that HEX?!
>
> Sorry, I don't mean to be sarcastic, just raising some things that are
> useful to the web crowd, but that can apply to coders too (awareness
> of other files/classes etc. without you having to type it initially to
> get it into the completion buffer.)

Again marc your spot on, but I have some issues with skEdit's preview
feature and don't even get me started on the native apple color
palette. Also, am I blind or is there no "screen" value for the style
element's media attribute?