[TextMate] Quote auto complete

Scott Barron scott at elitists.net
Wed Oct 6 23:57:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 12:46:35AM +0200, Sune Foldager wrote:
> On 7/10-2004, at 0:44, Rad Smith wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure if I'm using it right, but the quote auto completion
> >seems to slow me down, as most of the time you need to add something
> >after a quote, but I'm required to use the right arrow key to move
> >over a character to go past the quote, which is a rather long distance
> >compared to the quote key.
>
> Actually, you can just type another quote... after an auto-insertion,
> TextMate will let you use another quote to go on, overwriting (or
> skipping, the result is the same) the one automatically inserted. So in
> short you can type like it didn't complete.

This doesn't work for all situations, though.  For example, I'm typing
in a comment or perhaps a string literal and I enter a word like "don't"
or any other contraction ... it closes that quote, causing extra steps
to get rid of that extra quote.  With things like [](){} etc, this isn't
really a problem, but with the quotes it is.

I think that the quotes could either be made smarter, eg don't insert
unless the preceeding/following character is maybe whitespace or [](),
and such.  Regex configurable would be cool.  Or the ability to just
turn it off, at least for quotes, barring making it smarter.

I have more goods/bads that I'll assemble after a long day of coding in
TextMate, but in the end it's pretty sexy.

-Scott