[TextMate] Your syntax definitions?

Justin French justin.french at indent.com.au
Wed Oct 6 14:45:21 UTC 2004

On 06/10/2004, at 6:59 PM, Johan Sörensen wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> So, have anyone started to make some custom syntax definitions for the
> various laguages out there? Lets share!
>
> I wish I could say "I'll start" but I've just started on one so I'm
> still wrapping my head around it. It still baffles me why colours
> arent global (like, often i want the same color for strings regardless
> of laguages for instance)

If you're inspired, TM needs JavaScript, Perl, and Python as a starting
point... I'd recommend copying one of the existing bundles to your
~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/, renaming it, and
"having a go"... Allan and Sune were extremely helpful in helping me
get the first drafts of the PHP, HTML, HTML-PHP & CSS language
definitions ready, and I'll try to help you where ever I can too.

Every language is so different, so rather than TM imposing limitations,
it welcomes it all with open arms.  Really, you have the power to make
a definition for almost anything.  I suggested to Allan that the basic
default style sheets of PHP/HTML/CSS use a shared colour pallet, but
the languages are so different that the rules had to stop there.
Quoted strings are red in HTML, CSS and PHP.  Variables in PHP and
Selectors in CSS are both green, etc etc.

Basically, I had a few days to throw together 4 language definitions,
so I "had a go".  I'd love suggestions on what I can change in those 4
or so language definitions, and of course you have the power to change
these to suit your own needs (as I will to suit my needs).

However, when it came to David's Ruby definitions, we decided to leave
the Black/Grey versions as is... for starters, it was used in a lot of
the marketing and David's Rails videos, and it looks really cool.

It's also worth pointing out that a lot more features are planned for
the next generation of language defs, so it's quite possible a lot of
what you want will come through these upgrades anyway.

Justin "I love TextMate" French
---
http://indent.com.au
http://justinfrench.com