[TxMt] Italics in syntax bundles

Jeroen jeroen at je-ju.net
Tue Nov 23 09:59:57 UTC 2004

Hello,

I noticed that a lot of the syntax highlight bundles use different
colours, and on top of that also other decoration such as underline and
italics.
My experience is that italics in most fixed-width fonts does not look
that good and is bad for readability.

The other thing is that the italics is mostly superfluous: the aim is to
differentiate text from surrounding text and most of the time, this is
already achieved by using a different colour and using italics as well
does not really help.

So I propose that authors of syntax highlight bundles use italics
sparingly and only if it really has extra value to use it.

How do other users feel about this? And does anyone else have tips for
increasing usability of syntax highlight bundles?

Jeroen.