[TxMt] 'undoing' for days [gripe]

James Andrews jamesandrews at mac.com
Fri Nov 5 05:07:22 UTC 2004

We already have Cmd-z to step back through the undo stack and
Cmd-Shift-z to move forward through it so I don't understand the
difference. For me the issue is a matter of preference regarding block
vs. character based granularity i.e. the points in the stack you move
back or forwards to.

Personally I generally prefer the block-based version for speed and
because every other text editing app for the OS X GUI works this way
(so I guess I'm used to it). I can understand the benefits in certain
circumstances for character based undo, but find it's too granular for
me most of the time. I would like to see undo work the same as the
other apps (i.e. block based) for speed and intuitiveness (i.e.
expected behaviour) but switch to a more fine grained approach with an
additional modifier (Alt or Ctrl). There is little danger of losing
stuff with the block approach as you can always move forward through
the re-do stack if you've gone too far (and then switch to a fine
grained approach to move back slowly if necessary).

I can understand some others might want to have the default being
character based (though expect the majority to prefer the block
approach) so perhaps we can have a mode-toggle or a preference to keep
us all happy.