[TxMt] find settings

David Tolpin dvd at davidashen.net
Thu Dec 30 00:41:37 UTC 2004

>> I would prefer Regular expressions to stick (since I use them almost
>> always, in fact); and in the rare case when the search string has
>> come from another program, to switch it off manually.
>
> I won't make it sticky, but I'll add to the to-do that it should only
> clear when the string has changed from the last session. Expect it in
> 1.1b1 (which I do think I can promise will be before the new year) or
> 1.1b2.

When TextMate is running, I still can use Find in another program, such
as Mail or Safari. In which case Regular Expression remains selected,
but the string is not what was entered. I believe that the right
behavior is to keep the setting for Regular Expressions. Alternatively,
a consistent approach would be to drop it every time the clipbroad gets
a new value not from the manual input with RE set.

So, the current behavior of TextMate is almost what I want (and does
not cope well with the idea that literal find should switch RE off)
except for one case -- when I restart TextMate. Fixing it to never keep
RE or to always keep RE makes it consistent, and the former makes it
less convenient for me.

What about Command-Option-F /Command-Option-G for regular expression
search/replace; not interacting with Find clipboard, and just
Option-F/Option-G for literal search/replace?

David Tolpin