[TxMt] TextMate protocol

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Dec 14 03:35:31 UTC 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 0:03, Eric Ocean wrote:

> Awhile back I seem to remember Allen suggesting he could create a
> TextMate protocol (e.g. txmt://path/to/my/file). I've come to the
> conclusion that if this was available, I would use it a lot.

After finding out how close to impossible it is to write a command line
tool that uses the ODB Editor Suite, and figuring out how I can detect
if the URL request originates from within TM's web preview (to not
perform dangerous operations requested from outside TM) I'm also
convinced that this URL scheme is a good idea, and it's likely to
appear in 1.1b1.

The syntax will be:
    txmt:open?url=protocol:/path/to/file&line=<number>&column=<number>

The arguments are optional and in the future I may think of other
commands than “open”.

With this I'll also let the command output be to HTML views, which btw
takes care of the in-app man-browser that has been requested, since the
command would then just be:
    GROFF_TYPESETTER=html man -t $TM_CURRENT_WORD
With output set to HTML :)