[txmt-dev] Commit window revisited

Ronald Wampler rdwampler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:42:45 UTC 2014

Occasionally when viewing diffs, I lose track of the commit window and try
to bring it back up using the key combination ⌘Y → 2 (out of habit/muscle
memory). To avoid ending up with multiple commit windows, I think there are
a couple of solutions for this situation. One would be to try to make it a
singleton so that entering the above key combination would instead bring
the commit window forward. But, I am not too fond on that idea since it is
not uncommon for me to work on several repositories at the same time.
Another solution would be to run the Commit Window as a modal (sheet)
dialog. This would require a change to the UI, namely, the diffs should be
viewable in the dialog (I was thinking of just sending the diff result to
an `NSTextView` with the appropriate highlighting/markup).

I have an incomplete working version of the latter. If this is of interest
would it better to go ahead and begin moving the commit window to the
dialog plug-in and allow modal dialogs in general? (I noticed some
commented out code that attempts to add modal dialogs in the dialog1.x
plug-in.) I am not sure the best way to link the `OakTextView.framework`
with the dialog plug-in, other than only enable compiling of the modal
dialogs (commit window) when building within Textmate.

Thoughts?