[txmt-dev] Re: Not relaunch TM after a build

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Apr 15 06:25:25 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 03:05, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Well, not only is my question not limited to “definition of symbol X”, I
> might not look at “symbol X” in the source when I ask that question. For
> example Igor mentioned an issue with undo on the users mailing list, so
> I want to see all the places I implement (override) the undo: method.
>
> So I think for me, search is the better tool (and not a big hack).

I use search all the time. But mostly because I'm using languages where
the tool support is pretty bad (Ruby, D). But when using (Objective-)C,
C++ with Xcode, for some of the tasks there is a proper tool and I
prefer to use that.

I use multiple tools to accomplish my tasks. Just because a particular
tool cannot handle a given task, that doesn't mean I stop using it
completely when it's useful for other tasks.

> I wonder how much of it works for you with the TextMate code base, given
> that it does not have a proper Xcode project? For example all my sources
> include framework headers from the build directory and are dependent on
> compiler settings and defines (like NULL_STR) done in my target file.
>
> Without that, libclang wouldn’t be able to compile a single source or
> follow it’s includes.

I've manually added a couple of includes when needed. It's a suboptimal
solution, but I think it would be a lot more work to make it a "proper"
Xcode project.

> If you are the manager of a company then you can say it’s irresponsible
> to the owners to not dedicate resources to competitive analysis.
>
> In my situation I have no responsibility toward any owners, and there is
> so much potential stuff that can be done with TextMate that what I need
> to figure out is _what is the most important_. I do that based on own
> desires and by talking to users.

Understandable, hence the "almost".

> Oh, and I made TextMate open source to satisfy people who disagree with
> my priorities…

Thank you very much for that. I am trying to contribute, when I have the
time.

--
/Jacob Carlborg