[txmt-dev] Re: Not relaunch TM after a build

Tue Apr 15 01:05:11 UTC 2014

On 15 Apr 2014, at 1:32, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2014-04-14 00:15, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> I have conventions about how to format my code because it makes it
>> easier to read. Allowing to work with the code using simple text
>> utilities is a bonus.
> Of course, I do that as well. I have very strict guide lines. But not
> because want to be able to use tools on the text.

I did not develop the mentioned convention for the purpose of using
tools, though I have developed others, and so has a lot of other people,
take doc-block comments, GitHub’s “closed #nn” in commit messages,
etc.

>> For me, asking where a thing is defined or called from is a subset
>> of what I ask, hence why I never felt the need for a dedicated tool
>> answer that single question […]
> The tool should obviously be able to handle a lot more

Well, not only is my question not limited to “definition of symbol
X”, I might not look at “symbol X” in the source when I ask that
question. For example Igor mentioned an issue with undo on the users
mailing list, so I want to see all the places I implement (override) the
undo: method.

So I think for me, search is the better tool (and not a big hack).

> Here's a list of useful features that Xcode has based on libclang:

I wonder how much of it works for you with the TextMate code base, given
that it does not have a proper Xcode project? For example all my sources
include framework headers from the build directory and are dependent on
compiler settings and defines (like NULL_STR) done in my target file.

Without that, libclang wouldn’t be able to compile a single source or
follow it’s includes.

> […] Actually, in general, I think it's almost irresponsible to not
> know ones competitors.

If you are the manager of a company then you can say it’s
irresponsible to the owners to not dedicate resources to competitive
analysis.

In my situation I have no responsibility toward any owners, and there is
so much potential stuff that can be done with TextMate that what I need
to figure out is _what is the most important_. I do that based on own
desires and by talking to users.

Oh, and I made TextMate open source to satisfy people who disagree with
my priorities…