[txmt-dev] Re: Hang while saving a project-wide replace all

Etienne Samson samson.etienne at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:36:13 UTC 2014

> On 1 Apr 2014, at 17:37, Etienne Samson wrote:
>
>> I've been able to reproduce it each time, on different projects, with different settings. Replace All is effectively a no-op for me now :-(.
>
> That sucks… but I guess it means it would be possible to do some further analysis.

Yeah, I can provide any info as needed. I *might* have went a little overboard with my "each time" statement above, but right now it does it in every day-to-day project I work with.

I just checked quickly with a project containing 2 text files "This is a string." and "This is another string", and replacing "string" with "test string" triggers the deadlock too. So it really looks like a system-wide think.

Same result if I temporarily move both TextMate & Avian support directories and `defaults delete com.macromates.TextMate.preview` & the v1 one.

> From the sample it looks like the event loop (waiting for documents to be saved) deadlocks (in system code).
>
> Just to rule out one variable, does it also happen if you use keyboard to select Save All?

Makes no difference whether I click or keyboard to Save All.

> For next build I can delay the save until next event loop iteration, perhaps that mitigates the problem.

I'll report when I update then. Right now I'm running 9529.

> Additional notes (while I'm at it) :
>> - It seems ⌘↑ changes the "In:" setting, while ⌘↓ doesn't. As I have a tendency to expect the former to take me to the beginning of my search string, I find it confusing (an you can actually perform an unexpected slow search if you don't catch it in time, like searching $HOME).
>
> The action is Go → Enclosing Folder and also works when focus is in file browser or when using Go → Go to File… (⌘T).
>
> You should be able to rebind the key (via System Preferences) to reclaim the key. Not sure what else to suggest.

Thanks, than'll do the trick.

>> - A shortcut to trigger Replace All from the keyboard would be nice (maybe with a sheet in case you trigger it by error, but I think the Save All sheet when you save might be sufficient).
>
> Se “Edit → Find” submenu for key equivalents related to find (dialog). Replace All is ⌃⌘G.

Thanks, those will come in handy ;-).

Regards,
Etienne Samson
samson.etienne at gmail.com