[txmt-dev] Re: Hang while saving a project-wide replace all

Thu Apr 3 10:07:47 UTC 2014

On 1 Apr 2014, at 17:37, Etienne Samson wrote:

> I've been bitten by it recently. I think it appeared in the latest
> version. Given that I see no one here with that issue, I might be
> alone experiencing it :-(.

I have heard people run into this before, but I don’t have any theory
of why it happens.

> I've been able to reproduce it each time, on different projects, with
> different settings. Replace All is effectively a no-op for me now :-(.

That sucks… but I guess it means it would be possible to do some
further analysis.

 From the sample it looks like the event loop (waiting for documents to
be saved) deadlocks (in system code).

Just to rule out one variable, does it also happen if you use keyboard
to select Save All?

For next build I can delay the save until next event loop iteration,
perhaps that mitigates the problem.

> Additional notes (while I'm at it) :
> - It seems ⌘↑ changes the "In:" setting, while ⌘↓ doesn't. As
> I have a tendency to expect the former to take me to the beginning of
> my search string, I find it confusing (an you can actually perform an
> unexpected slow search if you don't catch it in time, like searching
> $HOME).

The action is Go → Enclosing Folder and also works when focus is in
file browser or when using Go → Go to File… (⌘T).

You should be able to rebind the key (via System Preferences) to reclaim
the key. Not sure what else to suggest.

> - A shortcut to trigger Replace All from the keyboard would be nice
> (maybe with a sheet in case you trigger it by error, but I think the
> Save All sheet when you save might be sufficient).

Se “Edit → Find” submenu for key equivalents related to find
(dialog). Replace All is ⌃⌘G.