[txmt-dev] Re: Git outputs filled with <NUL>

Fred B fredb7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:03:38 UTC 2012

> I think overall the output from the various git commands is pretty nicely styled and have no desire to bring it inline with the HTML output themes, in fact, I think the HTML output themes should go on a slight diet to avoid that top bar — this worked nice when HTML output was a standalone window, but it takes up too much time when it’s a split, at least IMHO.
>
> That said, one could of course still migrate the Git bundle to use the theming support and then do a slimmer theme.

Exactly:

- I mostly use the html output in a window. I prefer the split view for script output, but for html or markdown preview, this is really to small on a 17" screen and we probably all have more width than height. I made a command to switch output location, but it would be nice to choose the location in the command. (one more request, just what you need ;)

- I use a web theme with a much slimmer bar (I made a dark version of scott (https://github.com/wafflesnatcha/scott.textmate)).

- I added theme support for most git commands, but I'm not sure my code is up to the standard of this bundle or if anyone else is interested. It's quite easy to do and it works. I'll put it on github when it's done.

> I’m presently a bit too overloaded with chores to dig deeper into this myself.

Yeah, I noticed you're a bit busy lately. ;)
Changing `@output_buffer.truncate(0)` with `@output_buffer = StringIO.new` seems to work, but I'm not sure there is any downside, the git bundle is not the easiest one to grasp or test in its entirety. Good enough for testing outputs anyway.

> Though is it actually causing any problems (other than view source)?

 It just slows things down a bit, e.g. noticeable with a huge log limit.

Thanks for your answer, Allan.

--
FredB