[txmt-dev] Re: Git outputs filled with <NUL>

Fri Sep 21 10:20:55 UTC 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 12:21 AM, Fred B <fredb7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, is there any reasons beside lack of time/motivation/etc. why the git bundle outputs don't use the web themes?

Well, the original author(s) probably didn’t care much for the web output themes.

I think overall the output from the various git commands is pretty nicely styled and have no desire to bring it inline with the HTML output themes, in fact, I think the HTML output themes should go on a slight diet to avoid that top bar — this worked nice when HTML output was a standalone window, but it takes up too much time when it’s a split, at least IMHO.

That said, one could of course still migrate the Git bundle to use the theming support and then do a slimmer theme.

> Anyway, while taking a look at it, it noticed the git bundle outputs are filled with NUL characters e.g. between every entry in the log or status command. It doesn't seem to cause problem with the html output, but if you try to view source the resulting file is truncated at the first <NUL>. When I change the output to text, TM2 has a hard time building the file and hangs if there are too much entries. Using the log command on the Git.tmbundle itself, there are close to 7000 NUL chars on one line after each entry. That can build up quickly.

Weird, never noticed that, but clearly not by design.

I’m presently a bit too overloaded with chores to dig deeper into this myself. Though is it actually causing any problems (other than view source)?