[SVN] Re: Makefile bundle: better support for multi-Makefile projects (in multiple directories)

Anthony Collins aecollins1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:39:50 UTC 2009

On 29/04/2009, at 5:59 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> One limitation of this approach is for users who set (MAKEFLAGS to) -
> j«n» for parallel job execution. Here the last dir changed to might
> not be the current dir for the command spewing out errors.

Agreed, the original approach didn't consider this.

> I think for the latter we should take the Makefile location from an
> environment variable — this will then (sort of) allow per-folder
> variables (and in the future one can just set »TM_MAKEFILE_MASTER =
> "$TM_DIRECTORY/Makefile"« (i.e. the default would be
> "$TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY/Makefile") — personally I sometimes have my
> Makefiles outside the source tree, so I need this as well.

Here is a patch that is based off the approach in your pseudo-code. It
also uses $TM_MAKEFILE_MASTER to determine which directory to build
(but falls back to $TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY/Makefile if this is undefined
or if it doesn't exist).

http://pastie.textmate.org/462448

Cheers,

Anthony