[SVN] Re: Ruby 1.9 Changes for TextMate Pastie Support...

James Gray james at grayproductions.net
Tue Sep 9 14:49:14 UTC 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Charles Turner wrote:

>> I've told you before and I'm telling you again, dropping our 1.8
>> encoding support is not going to happen.  We welcome your help to
>> work
>> through these issues, but ripping out things we need on 1.8, like -
>> KU,
>> just wastes our time.  I have to undo it to apply your changes.
>> Please be more helpful than that.
>
> What do you suggest for a person that just started using Ruby three
> weeks ago? Please be specific so I can follow orders.

Well, if you want to solve 1.9 compatibility issues, you're going to
want to start learning about the differences between Ruby 1.8 and
1.9.  Ideally that would mean that you install both versions and try
changes in both versions, as I've mentioned before.  That's what we
have to do.  If you don't do it, your emails are just creating work
for us and thus are more likely to be ignored.

Failing that, keep your 1.9 changes to the bare minimum needed to make
the code work there.  For example, I've seen you remove a require for
jcode, when it didn't matter.  We need the bare minimum changes needed
to make things work to minimize the chance we are breaking other things.

Finally, whether you are testing there or not, you must stay conscious
of 1.8's encoding support.  Currently, if we have broken 1.9 support
we upset you and maybe a handful of other people.  If we break 1.8
support, the barbarian hordes will burn us alive.  That means we
cannot remove a -KU switch in our Ruby code.  Period.  No exceptions.
If you do that, you are just wasting your time and mine when I have to
undo it.

> Are you expecting  that I should have a cross-version solution to
> the encoding issues posed by 1.9 at this point in my experience with
> the language?

Remember that you chose to work on this exercise.  ;)

I'm really not trying to come off as ungrateful.  I do appreciate your
help in tracking down these issues.  We need to do that, for sure.

If we're going to fix them though, we have to fix them right.  If you
want to help with that, we sure want you too.

I'm fine with you learning as you go, so start learning.  This is the
third time I've mentioned we cannot drop a -KU switch, so let's call
that a lesson learned, OK?  :)

James Edward Gray II