[SVN] r8862 (Apache)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Fri Feb 15 13:52:07 UTC 2008

On 15 Feb 2008, at 14:18, Simon Gregory wrote:

>>> Modernising file names and updating menu structure.
>>
>> We've lost the file history with this commit; please hold off on
>> future edits to these files until I can revert to get the history
>> back.
>
> Ah. Apologies on this.
>
> Is the point to maintain the file history so it's easier to
> reference? Or is it more important that any edits users have made to
> bundle items are respected? If it's the latter does
> everything hang off the bundle item uuids?

Preserving file history is so that svn log and svn blame gives
accurate info.

We quite frequently use this.

For example a user might report that latest TM build has PHP highlight
problems, so we svn log to figure out what was actually changed in the
PHP bundle since last build.

Or we might stumble upon a rule in a language grammar that appears to
make no sense, svn blame will tell us exactly when that rule was added
and by who -- we can then check the log for the reason behind the
change or ask the person and maybe revert that single change (using
the svn history to know the exact scope of the change).

By replacing a file (even though the content is the same) you
effectively erase all this precious meta-data.

> What I'm trying to ask is should the new item's have the old item's
> uuid's? Or does this have to be fixed by reverting in svn and
> modifying from there? Either way I'm happy to
> fix it.

It needs to be reverted, which is done by removing all the present
stuff and copy in the old stuff from a previous version (so that
history data is copied with it): http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch04s04.html#svn-ch-4-sect-4.3