[SVN] r7224 (Markdown)

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sat May 12 16:20:44 UTC 2007

On May 12, 2007, at 4:26 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 12. May 2007, at 01:03, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> On May 11, 2007, at 9:34 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>>> • open using the viewer set as TM_PDF_VIEWER — this should either
>>> be a bundle identifier or the application name with its “.app”
>>> suffix (e.g. ‘net.sourceforge.pdfview’ or ‘PDFView.app’).
>>>
>>> Preferably TM_LATEX_VIEWER should be deprecated in favor of this
>>> more appropriately named variable.
>>
>> That would be fine by me, but of course it assumes that the user
>> uses the same pdf viewer for both their LaTeX and Markdown needs.
>> But I am definitely such a person.
>
> Yeah, I was also wondering if we should do something akin to: $
> {TM_«bundle»_PDF_VIEWER:-${TM_PDF_VIEWER:-Preview.app}}. But if so,
> maybe abstract this away. If we provide bundle items with a simple
> “get” function then that could even (with properly exposed
> variables for the name of the bundle + name of current bundle item)
> first check a variable corresponding to just the command, then the
> bundle, then the “global”, and finally the fallback.
>
> But I am not sure this is really needed ;)

It sounds like a nice general framework though. You could call
something like get_env("pdf_viewer"), and it would do what you
describe above. But perhaps it is overkill, unless there are similar
things happening with other environment variables.

>>> We may want some magic value to indicate that PDF viewing should
>>> be done in TextMate (i.e. using the HTML output window).
>> I think the LaTeX bundle using either "html" or the absence of the
>> variable.
>
> Yes, it uses html, which we probably want to revise (seeing how a)
> it doesn’t necessarily need to be via the HTML output window in the
> future and b) setting a viewer to ‘html’ is nonsensical for the user).

I can see b, but I am not sure what you mean by a. We will still need
to be displaying the error log, will there be other options for that?

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College