[SVN] r6485 (Ruby)

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Tue Jan 23 16:46:06 UTC 2007

I've read that, and I'm not going to follow its instructions. I
rarely ever touch my .MacOSX/environment.plist file, and in this case
I refuse to put PATH in there. One reason is because I occasionally
change PATH (rarely, but it happens) and I don't like restarting in
that case. But the main reason is because I don't want my GUI apps to
have my new PATH. If a system-provided app accesses anything via PATH
(I don't know why it would, but hey) I want it to get the system-
provided tool it's trying to access. Anything I put in /usr/local/bin
or /opt/local/bin is purely for me as a user to access, not for
system-provided things to access. And that's true even of third-party
apps - they were written to use the system tools, so I want to give
them the system tools.

For example, if a third-party app wants to use ruby, I want it to use
the system-provided ruby. If I want to use ruby I'll use my MacPorts-
installed version, but I'm deliberately choosing to do that.

And yeah, I know that this is a slippery slope, but I finally edited
this command like such simply because I kept trying to use ⌃H and
having it fail, over and over. It was getting really annoying using
ri from the command-line.

Incidentally, if your only worry is a bunch of extra files, there is
a technique which can avoid the extra file. I just threw in the extra
file because it's cleaner to do it this way, but if people want to
avoid the shebang and still call, say, ruby, you can always do the
following:

/usr/bin/env ruby <<TM_EOF
insert ruby script here
TM_EOF