tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Feb 18 08:37:56 UTC 2007

On 18. Feb 2007, at 00:25, Benoit Gagnon wrote:

> What I'm favoring, globally, is to completely separate the bundles
> from the application. Updating TM would not include new bundles.
> Downloading it the first time either, but instead would pop the bundle
> manager to ask for bundles to download.

Yes, this is a long-time goal, as stated earlier in this thread.
Though there will be some bundles included; imagine the user is in an
environment without internet connection or cancels the initial bundle
manager (so a few bundles, like Text & Source, will be enabled by
default).

> It's true that svn log will give me detailed changes to the bundles.
> But it won't tell me easily what's new from the previous version I had
> (I'd need to note down the revision I'm at first). Version control
> logs are also rarely effective from an end-user perspective. I don't
> see many applications dumping me their SCM log as "release notes"
> whenever I update it.

We have the tagged entries for the release notes that goes out to the
user. Are you suggesting some third way to handle changes?

I.e. we currently have a) svn log for people who want to know
everything, b) the tagged entries for people who only want to know
what we deem important.

Ideally we would have c) changes that the user deem important, but
this is what we try to do with b ;)

> As for the support directory, I don't see why it couldn't be a
> bundle itself.

Are you talking about a TextMate bundle? I can’t see how it could be
made into such.

The support directory contains stuff relied on by other bundles. We
could version the support directory (in fact we already do), and
bundles could require certain versions, there already is support for
doing that, but no-one uses it, because it is tedious and not working
in practice, for example a change in the support folder may be
required for a single command in a bundle, so that command should now
require e.g. r6124, but another change in the support directory may
require a fix in a bundle, so now that bundle (in the unfixed
condition) will require a version prior to r6125 -- effectively
meaning that often, if you don’t have the latest of everything, you
won’t satisfy the dependencies (and it would be a lot of overhead to
express these dependencies, just so a few users can select to run
with old bundles).

> Sorry for opposing some of you guys in this discussion; I'm really
> excited about this new bundle system and I want to make sure my ideas
> are dropped in the pre-prod pool :)

Ideally I think what you want would be nice, it’s just impractical
and not worth it, i.e. many technical hurdles, lots of manual work
finding out which min/max versions of something a bundle command
requires, and few would intentionally upgrade only subsets of the TM
environment.