tags instead of categories (was Re: [SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.)

Thomas Aylott (subtleGradient) oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Sun Feb 18 00:11:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 17, 2007, at 6:25 PM, Benoit Gagnon wrote:

> What I'm favoring, globally, is to completely separate the bundles
> from the application. Updating TM would not include new bundles.
> Downloading it the first time either, but instead would pop the bundle
> manager to ask for bundles to download.
>
> It's true that svn log will give me detailed changes to the bundles.
> But it won't tell me easily what's new from the previous version I had
> (I'd need to note down the revision I'm at first). Version control
> logs are also rarely effective from an end-user perspective. I don't
> see many applications dumping me their SCM log as "release notes"
> whenever I update it.
>
> As for the support directory, I don't see why it couldn't be a
> bundle itself.
>
> Sorry for opposing some of you guys in this discussion; I'm really
> excited about this new bundle system and I want to make sure my ideas
> are dropped in the pre-prod pool :)

As far as I can tell, we're not disagreeing.

What we currently have is two systems for managing bundles.
#1 Either you use the bundles that ship inside TextMate or
#2 you manually manage the bundles yourself.

With option#2 you do have the bundles completely separate from the
application.

What I think we're proposing is a way to merge the two options into one.
So that people with absolutely no clue can still get more bundles and
keep them updated, without having to wait for a new build of TextMate.
And people that know what all is going on aren't frustrated and end
up resorting to doing it manually themselves.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg — sixteenColors