[SVN] New info.plist keys for description etc.

James Edward Gray II james at grayproductions.net
Tue Feb 13 22:17:54 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 3:56 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> # Maintainer
>
> This is the maintainer of the bundle in the venerable `full name
> <email>` format. Likely we should ROT13 encode this field, as the
> `info.plist` will often be available over http.
>
> I deliberately avoided the use of author, since many bundles
> receive work from many contributors, and so if this was `author`,
> the list would probably be monotonically increasing.
>
> I think a bundle should only have one maintainer. True in practice
> we have bundles maintained by several people, but the main purpose
> of this field is to list someone the user can contact about the
> bundle. If there are two maintainers, listing both will just
> “confuse” the user as to who he should write, and there is only a
> 50% chance he will actually write the one responsible for the thing
> he writes about.
>
> Comments on this one? We could always make it an array, so we at
> least have the option, but lets keep the name of the key in
> singular form.

I really don't see a problem with listing one person as the primary
maintainer.  We have three programmers at work, but we always route
contact for each project through one person.  That person passes the
word along to one of the other programmers when needed.  That's just
part of the job of the primary maintainer, in my opinion.

Even if you list six maintainers for a bundle, a user will eventually
write them with a "My Great Language turns neon pink when I use it
with My Broken Theme complaint."  So it seems this already has to be
happening on some level.

> # Technology URL
>
> A better name for this key is definitely required.

Reference URL?

James Edward Gray II