[SVN] r5414

thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Wed Oct 11 17:31:04 UTC 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 9:04 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 5:24 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason for not enabling the close button of the window?
>> Otherwise I would link that to cancel.
>
> A close box would be an ambiguous third choice. I would not
> necessarily expect it to cancel. CrashReporter has a live close
> box, where I frequently select the close box rather than cancel,
> but it always prompts a light afterthought of 'wait a minute, that
> can't be right -- what did I just do?'
>
>> Making the diff visible in the UI sounds like a good idea (as
>> Benoit mentioned) -- most people do not find it, and when I tell
>> them about it, they act as if I just gave them 100 bucks ;)
>
> Yup. To add to what I previously said on this subject:
>
> When I saw Thomas's modifications to the status window, it became
> clear that the status window and the commit window _could_
> converge. Not entirely clear that they _should_. But, ideally, I'd
> like to be able to add, revert, etc. from the commit window. All
> these commands could be added to the new action popup, or they
> could be added in iTunes store-like fashion, similarly to the way
> the status window works, but using less of the screen (though
> perhaps considerably more cluttered in that space).
>
> In such a universe, we'd remove the preflighting check for
> conflicts and unknown files, and list them with the rest of the
> files, but unchecked by default, as external files are now.
>
> Would it be better to go the Ruby/HTML/JavaScript route and make
> the status window also serve as the commit window? It would
> probably be prettier, but it might not be as usable.
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> Chris

Despite being a web developer and the guy who wanted all that carp in
the status window...
Cocoa beats HTML hands down in almost every way imaginable. (i
would've redone it in cocoa if i knew how)

I would LOVE to have something cocoa totally replace the fancy status
window.
I think the ideal is TextMate 2's new configurable file drawer/
palette though.

I think the status window could survive asis until then.
All that stuff that has columns in the status window (revert, add,
diff) should be in the contextual/gear menu of the files palette.
Assuming there will be a way to filter it by svn state and whatnot.

thomas Aylott — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg