[SVN] OCaml syntax highlight SLOW

Benjamin Ylvisaker benjaminy at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 10 18:52:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:35:18 -0400
"David Powers" <david at grayskies.net> wrote:

> I've committed some changes that stop (most of) the evil recursion
> on the files you posted. Give them a try and let me know if they
> improve the performance behavior (CPU will likely still peg for a
> while, but the beach ball may not appear).  There are still a few
> areas where you split up constructs that the grammar expects to be
> in a single line or intersperse comments in the middle of
> expressions that are not handled ideally, but this should be an
> improvement.  I'm withholding additional commentary about the wisdom
> of having 6000 line source files... :)
>
> -David

The new version does seem to cut down on the evil pinwheel noticeably.
The CPU is still pretty heavily used when switching back and forth
between big files.  Should it not be possible to cache syntax
highlighting information, so that it doesn't have to be recomputed
every time one switches between unmodified files in a project?

Thanks,
Benjamin